Feb 22, 2012

Upcycle closet doors

So, I had these closet doors in my bedroom. The doors were very plain. One of them was slightly warped. The right-side door had completely come off the track and wouldn't stay on, despite my best efforts. I had seen a ton of these doors in the garbage area of my building. I was determined to divert mine from the waste stream. 


Meanwhile, back in the dinning area, I had a new window from the kitchen renovation, begging to be used in conjunction with a breakfast bar. Now, being a busy Brooklynite, I don't have much time to sit and have breakfast every morning. But I do usually have time to pour myself a drink when I get home at night (usually single malt Scotch). So I scrapped the breakfast part and decided to upcycle the doors into a bar. A bar that would just happen to sit where a breakfast bar would be. 


The design was very simple, since I have zero furniture design experience. Just a basic frame with some shelves for booze, and enough space for some bar stools. Plus a rack system for hanging glasses. Here's the frame.



Once the frame was done, I added some shelves. The shelves are supported by dividers, which had to be equal height. Otherwise the shelves wouldn't be level. I needed a table saw to make the cuts. Thankfully, my friend Pat has his own contracting business and let me show up and use the saw at one of his renovation sites. Thanks Pat! 


All I had to do now was add some trim, and a rack system to hang stemware. I used excess trim to make the rack system, which holds about 15 glasses. I got some great looking bar stools from Craigslist and a small wine fridge, free, from a friend who had a spare (he's really into wine). Oh, and as you can see, I also painted the apartment. But let's get to the point: look at all that booze! 



2 comments:

  1. Looks gerat Jeff - well done. How did your closet wall thnigy come out in the bedroom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude! That rocks! I am so inspired!

    ReplyDelete